Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A Few of Peter's Favorite Things!

Well, As you can tell by the over sized pictures in the layout design, I am still learning how to blog. I need a little help, so if you get a call or email, or you just know what I should do, I would love advice!

But for now, I thought I would keep up this journaling goal that I have. :)

I have been watching Peter and getting a feel for his favorite things, and I just love them with him. A few of them cause me a little extra stress because he has no fear and he is getting very mobile, but if I just keep teaching him how to be safe and keep my eyes always in his direction...hopefully we'll keep them as favorites!

So here we go:
He loves water! I love it too! We'll keep those pictures for his picture book just because I don't want to post anything that could tempt inappropriate people to our site. :)

He loves Shoes! For Christmas we got him shoelaces because anytime he can pull at them and swing them around he will. He crawled into the coat closet yesterday and I just happened to capture the moment of him relaxing in shoe heaven. Crazy thing, is that I bet his feet out grow these big shoes of Thad and mine when he gets to High School!

He loves blankets! He will pull out all the soft fuzzy ones, and just roll around in them. He loves it on his face. He loves to play what I call "Parachute." I have him help me make our bed and I put him in the middle of the bed and then throw the sheets up and we both get under them while they fall down on us. Then when it falls down we toss it back up and get under the "Parachute." We laugh and giggle. It takes a little longer to make the bed, but great for making mundane daily chores a family fun event!

He loves his toothbrush. I didn't have a chance to get a picture yet. It is coming. He chews on both ends. But I am glad he likes it now. I hope that sticks in the future!

He loves to climb. He is so persistent. We have this chair and ottoman by the window, and he isn't quite tall enough just to jump up and get on it. It takes some real effort to stand on his tippy toes, and to use his upper body strength to hold himself up enough to get his knee and leg up to climb. He gets frustrated sometimes and takes a little time to fall back on the floor and think about it. But right after he regroups, he gets back up and he does it. Then he climbs to the top of the chair to look out the window and play with the blinds.

He loves the blinds. Loves to feel and hold the twirl wand and wants to suck on the pull strings. I let him twirl the wand, but don't like the thought of sucking on the strings.

He loves to go outside. He always is telling me Bye Bye in sign language. When Thad came home last night from a long day of studying, Peter saw him at the door, took 6 steps, and then fell to his knees, and started crawling...right past Thad and out the door. He looked back saw me coming to get him and he took off down the Hall! He wanted out! A little challenge I will have as we are still going to be living in freezing cold weather. But I'm praying to have inspiration and ideas of what to do.

He loves balloons! The local grocery store called HyVee gave us an orange helium balloon one day shopping. We brought it home and although it has lost it's floatation, it has become his best buddy. They go down the hall together, he wrestles it, he starts to crawl and hits it forward with his knee or his foot and it's kind of a chase game. So fun. I make sure he doesn't eat it because I know it could be not such a safe toy. But what a fun buddy it has become!

He loves media. The only real "NO NO" thing in our house is the computer. And he loves it. He loves to climb up and touch the screen. He loves to plink the keys on the keyboard. He loves the mouse. But I think it's a great thing that we have as a tool to teach him self control. It's hard to not play with it. I watch him and he so wants to go over and touch it. And usually does. But we have a system I hope will help teach him to start to think about his ability to make choices and to see the consequences. I know he is only 11 months tomorrow, but I do believe that the best and only control in life is self control. And I pray that I may also be a good example of using my agency to do good things and control my actions to do what Heavenly Father has asked me to do.

He loves his dad. He squeals with delight when his dad is in the room. He wants to be right by him whenever Thad is home. I am so grateful to be married to such a great man. I want my little boy to have his dad as a Hero. I know he will look up to Thad and want to be like him all of his life. And as Elder Holland has taught before, that Peter's relationship with his dad in this mortal life, will aid him in his development of his relationship with his Heavenly Father. That is my greatest desire. That Peter will come to know his Heavenly Father and want to be like Him.

So someday when I am needing it, just like Julia Andrews sings in the "Sound of Music," : "When the dog bites, when the bee stings, when I'm feeling sad, I simply remember my favorite things, and then I don't feel so bad." Peter's favorite things are also some of my most favorite things!

Children are a joy. Yet we all have days we need to see the positive in the mundane daily chores. And this helped me today.
Love ya lots. :)
Malinda

1 comment:

Emily Nice said...

Love that you are posting! Very fun pictures of Peter. maybe some of you too would be nice :)

Sounds like you are a very conscientious mom.